Hurt on the Job? A Lawyer Can Provide Legal Assistance for Claims and Appeals

If you were injured while on the job, you should know that there are benefits that you may be eligible for. The amount of compensation that you will receive should be commensurate with the extent of damages that you suffered—or still are suffering from. If you were hurt on the job, a lawyer could provide you with legal assistance in filing for claims and benefits.

Hurt at Work

Despite the care you and your employer take, accidents and injuries happen. Your actions at the time of an injury can affect your right to receive benefits. Take a few minutes now to review these tips on how to protect yourself if you suffer a job-related injury or illness, and keep a copy nearby to refer to if you or a co-worker is injured in the workplace.

Report Work-Related Injuries:
Don't Put Off Until Tomorrow

  • Report your work-related injury or illness, regardless of the nature or severity, to your supervisor immediately. Request an "Employee's Claim for Workers' Compensation Benefits" form from your supervisor.
  • Fill out the "Employee" section of the claim form accurately and return it to your supervisor immediately to avoid a delay in benefits. Be sure to indicate all the parts of your body you feel may be affected or hurt by the work-related injury or illness.
  • Keep a copy of the completed claim form as your receipt. Request that your employer return the claim form to you with the "Employer" section filled out. According to the law, your employer has 24 hours to return the completed form to you.
Report your Work-Related Injuries

Hurt on the Job? Details Matter

  • Advise your supervisor immediately if you need medical care. If you have filed a Personal Physician Pre-Designation form with your employer before the work-related injury or illness occurred, see your own designated treating doctor as soon as possible. If you did not file a Personal Physician Designation form, request that your employer send you to a treating doctor as soon as possible. Treatment must be provided within 24 hours of filing the claim.
  • Accurately describe in detail to the treating doctor how your work-related injury or illness occurred. Tell the doctor about all the parts of your body that have been affected or hurt by the work-related injury or illness.
Hurt on the Job?

If You Have Been Hurt at Work:
Documentation is Key

  • Attend all medical appointments. Keep copies of all medical slips and notes - such as notes excusing you from work - given to you by the treating doctor.
  • Keep copies of all documents received from your employer or the insurance carrier regarding your work-related illness or injury. Keep accurate records of the following:
    1. Days off work.
    2. Dates of all medical treatment.
    3. All round-trip mileage incurred for the medical treatment.
    4. Receipts for all out-of-pocket medical and prescription costs.
  • Write down all facts about any injury or illness you suffer at work. You may have a civil lawsuit in addition to your Workers' Compensation claim and this information may be helpful to a lawyer evaluating your potential lawsuit.
Document your work-related injuries

Legal Considerations When You're Hurt on the Job

  • Do not abuse the Workers' Compensation system. Injuries or illnesses that are not work-related should not be reported.
  • All statements and facts that you provide must be accurate and true. Filing a false or fraudulent Workers' Compensation claim is a felony under California law.
  • Review the facts of any work-related injury or illness as soon as possible with an attorney who specializes in Workers' Compensation law and handling on-the-job injury cases.
Hurt at Work Lawyer

Have You Been Injured at Work?
Why You Need an Experienced Attorney
to Fight for Your Rights

  • The Utilization Review process can negatively affect your medical treatment for an on-the-job injury. You need an attorney on your side to help ensure you receive the proper medical care.
  • Recent legislation has created a minefield of timelines, which are very difficult to manage on your own. In some cases if you miss a deadline, you don't get "another bite at the apple" for an entire year.
  • An experienced attorney who represents people with work-related injuries can, under the right circumstances, guide clients in the selection of a Qualified Medical Examiner (QME). The doctor chosen from a QME list could have a significant impact on your case, your future and your family's future.
Hurt at Work Lawyer

Do I have a case? Free Case Evaluation.

Click Here

Main Office

3580 Wilshire Blvd #1800,
Los Angeles, CA 90010


816 Camarillo Springs Road,
Suite I,
Camarillo, CA 93012

Santa Ana

Xerox Centre
1851 East First Street,
Suite #900,
Santa Ana, CA 92705

Inland Empire

3602 Inland Empire Blvd.,
Suite C-160,
Ontario, CA 91764
Geklaw Best Lawyers
Geklaw Super Lawyers