Are You Suffering Side Effects From Your Medications?
If you are taking medication for a work-related injury, you may be entitled to additional Workers' Compensation benefits for any side effects related to the medication. Additional benefits may include medical treatment and increased permanent disability benefits.
Here is a list of some common medications and the conditions they may cause or aggravate:
- Prednisone (and other steroids including cortisone) - cataracts, osteoporosis, obesity, hypertension, diabetes
- Coumadin and other blood thinners - anemia, hemorrhage, blood clots, hair loss
- Non-Steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) - hypertension, upper gastrointestinal disorders, heart attack, renal damage
- Narcotics - lower gastrointestinal disorders, irritable bowel syndrome, sleep apnea, drowsiness, abdominal distension, sexual dysfunction
- Muscle Relaxants - lower gastrointestinal disorders, irritable bowel syndrome, sleep apnea, drowsiness, abdominal distension
- Psychotropics (including anti-depressants) - sleep apnea, diabetes, sexual dysfunction
If you are experiencing side effects from medication, immediately notify your physician and, if you have legal representation, your attorney.